Saturday, January 12, 2013

My New Best Friends


Authentic folk art is one of my favorite things.  I have a whimsical metal pig in my entryway at home as well as a crazy sculpted Jack Russell terrier.  They make me happy.  Not sure they will welcome their "wilder" cousins from Guatemala when I get home, but they will have to accommodate my new friends somehow.  This jaguar followed me home from Panajachel.  I hope he doesn't creep out the grandkids.  At least he's friendly. Can't say as much for the monkey.  He has irritability issues.  




This flying dragon skeleton is my all-time favorite.  I found him in an unattended shop in Panajachel and we had to locate a neighboring store owner to hunt down the owner of the tienda so we could buy him.  He comes apart, so this very funny woman who owned the shop labeled his legs and wings so I could properly reassemble him when I got him home.  She put all his pieces in a plastic bag and wrapped it over and over and over again with tape.  When we tried to tell her that was plenty of tape, she gave me a sly smile and said, "You don't want him to escape, do you?"  Well...he didn't.  He quite likes my apartment and he is my guarda espalda (translated-bodyguard; literal translation is "guard your back").

No comments:

Post a Comment